I consider myself a fortunate person in many ways. In my career in particular, I've had the chance to be a part of so many love stories and meet some of the most amazing humans. I really do seem to attract the nicest, warmest couples whose love is simple, pure and true. These two are no exception. They are gentle, kind and sincere with each other and the people around them.....and they are adorable! Their wedding day this past November was a chilly one, but a simply beautiful one at one of my favourite venues to boot! We love Whistle Bear - its the most perfect, cozy spot for a large winter wedding. Thanks for braving the weather to all of you and your families. See, it doesn't even look cold in the images! xo
Winter to me brings memories of warm cozy evenings by a fire while watching the snow drift slowly outside our window. Sounds beautiful - who wouldn't want to get married in a picture like that?! The truth is, as beautiful as it sounds, there are certain "logistics" with winter weddings that can make - or break your day! Here are some helpful hints for a gorgeous and beautiful winter wedding and how to get perfect images of your day.
1. Be prepared to get outside! On the day of your wedding from November to March, it will likely be a wee bit colder then you anticipate, so bring something to keep you warm in between and during shooting. We always suggest a nice warm winter parka + mitts to put on it between your turn to shoot (for everyone in the bridal party and family). We also strongly suggest selecting a gorgeous long sleeved dress - they are even on trend right now! Alternately, choose something that works with your dress as a part of your complete look like a fur bolero/stole/cape/cover up/jacket/cardi/blanket. They can be super chic and pretty and they will keep you warm and smiling brightly for your photos. That being said, many of our brides still choose to have some photos outside without their cover up on and of course they are stunning all the way! Here is a link to our pinterest board for more inspiration and options. WINTER INSPIRATION BOARD
2. Choose a naturally well-lit indoor location for photos without need for overhead lights. Again, winter weddings can be colder than expected and although we definitely want you outside for some photos, we need to be real and make sure we keep you warm for some as well. We suggest doing family photos inside if possible or in an outdoor spot that it a quick hop inside to keep moms, dads, kids and grandparents happy! If you aren't sure what will work, we are here to offer suggestions and help you select the perfect spot - just ask!
3. Make sure your indoor ceremony location is well lit with natural light, and maybe even a fireplace. Add lots of candles and lanterns for a warm, cozy feeling. Have blankets ready for your guests to grab if needed and keep your florals in season using deeper colour accents or dried elements for a seasonal feel.
4. Create a warm, "baby its cold outside" kinda feeling at your reception. Select chairs of warm wooden tones, layer the linens and tableware to create a "collection" feel while adding rich tones in your floral palette and loads of candles and wooden/wintery elements on the tables like bark/antlers/pinecones/berries/winter fruits etc. Dim the lights in the room! These things will help make your day feel warm, magical and help all those winter humbugs embrace the season!
5. Lastly, but most importantly - enjoy your day! If you prepare yourself in advance - success will be on your side. Don't worry about the snow, cold, guest delays etc. Just be present and remember that this day is a celebration of your love - make it count!
We are thrilled to finally share the images from this gorgeous wedding from this past February. It was published last month in the current issue of Wedluxe Magazine. We are beyond excited that this lovely couple's wedding was selected for the issue! As mother of the groom Rachel Clingen created the most gorgeous and glamorous rustic winter getaway for the reception at Whistle Bear Golf Course. The perfect space for a cozy winter family wedding! Victoria and Josiah could not be sweeter and we wish them a beautiful life together! You can also see the wedding on the Wedluxe blog HERE.
Venue: Whistle Bear Golf Course
Floral Design: Rachel A. Clingen Wedding & Event Design
Cake + Sweets: Fine Cakes By Zehra
Invitations : Paper and Poste
Hair + Make-Up: Fancy Face Inc.
Gown Designer: Casablanca
Graphics: Event Graffiti
Furniture: Divine Furniture Rentals
Chairs: Detaliz Couture
Harvest Tables: Special Event Rentals
Linens: Around the Table