I consider myself a fortunate person in many ways. In my career in particular, I've had the chance to be a part of so many love stories and meet some of the most amazing humans. I really do seem to attract the nicest, warmest couples whose love is simple, pure and true. These two are no exception. They are gentle, kind and sincere with each other and the people around them.....and they are adorable! Their wedding day this past November was a chilly one, but a simply beautiful one at one of my favourite venues to boot! We love Whistle Bear - its the most perfect, cozy spot for a large winter wedding. Thanks for braving the weather to all of you and your families. See, it doesn't even look cold in the images! xo
We are looking forward to the start of spring wedding season and with that a little look at one we did last May. The buds on the trees were so beautiful that day and I for one, can't wait to see those pop out again soon. These two are simply adorable - I felt an instant connection with them as we spoke about their families on the day we met. I remember it like it was yesterday, but in actuality, it was well over 2 years ago now. If you've ever seen "This is Us", these 2 are just like that...or maybe it's mostly their love of the Pittsburgh Steelers - lol! Their fan-dom is so strong, that they even brought "terrible towels" to their engagement session! Even if the Steelers don't win the superbowl this year, I know you two will be cheering along happily until the bitter end. FYI, my Saints made the playoffs **insert happy dance here*!
Winter to me brings memories of warm cozy evenings by a fire while watching the snow drift slowly outside our window. Sounds beautiful - who wouldn't want to get married in a picture like that?! The truth is, as beautiful as it sounds, there are certain "logistics" with winter weddings that can make - or break your day! Here are some helpful hints for a gorgeous and beautiful winter wedding and how to get perfect images of your day.
1. Be prepared to get outside! On the day of your wedding from November to March, it will likely be a wee bit colder then you anticipate, so bring something to keep you warm in between and during shooting. We always suggest a nice warm winter parka + mitts to put on it between your turn to shoot (for everyone in the bridal party and family). We also strongly suggest selecting a gorgeous long sleeved dress - they are even on trend right now! Alternately, choose something that works with your dress as a part of your complete look like a fur bolero/stole/cape/cover up/jacket/cardi/blanket. They can be super chic and pretty and they will keep you warm and smiling brightly for your photos. That being said, many of our brides still choose to have some photos outside without their cover up on and of course they are stunning all the way! Here is a link to our pinterest board for more inspiration and options. WINTER INSPIRATION BOARD
2. Choose a naturally well-lit indoor location for photos without need for overhead lights. Again, winter weddings can be colder than expected and although we definitely want you outside for some photos, we need to be real and make sure we keep you warm for some as well. We suggest doing family photos inside if possible or in an outdoor spot that it a quick hop inside to keep moms, dads, kids and grandparents happy! If you aren't sure what will work, we are here to offer suggestions and help you select the perfect spot - just ask!
3. Make sure your indoor ceremony location is well lit with natural light, and maybe even a fireplace. Add lots of candles and lanterns for a warm, cozy feeling. Have blankets ready for your guests to grab if needed and keep your florals in season using deeper colour accents or dried elements for a seasonal feel.
4. Create a warm, "baby its cold outside" kinda feeling at your reception. Select chairs of warm wooden tones, layer the linens and tableware to create a "collection" feel while adding rich tones in your floral palette and loads of candles and wooden/wintery elements on the tables like bark/antlers/pinecones/berries/winter fruits etc. Dim the lights in the room! These things will help make your day feel warm, magical and help all those winter humbugs embrace the season!
5. Lastly, but most importantly - enjoy your day! If you prepare yourself in advance - success will be on your side. Don't worry about the snow, cold, guest delays etc. Just be present and remember that this day is a celebration of your love - make it count!
They have a quiet love and respect for one another. It's so evident that they adore each other just by seeing the way they look at one another and the way that he cares for her in the most nurturing and honest way. Their union was one I won't forget - and it was a blast on top of it all! A huge thank you to Laura of Laura and Co Events for introducing me to these two and to Rebecca and Brett for introducing me to the Henna ceremony! It was amazing - a host of dancing, colours and music - see the bottom images for more on this amazing cultural tradition!
EVENT PLANNER / COORDINATOR: Laura & Co Events
GOWN DESIGNER: Maggie Sottero
BRIDAL SHOE DESIGNER: Christian Louboutin (heels) and Kate Spade (sneakers)
VEIL/HEAD PIECES: Kleinfeld Bridal
MAKE UP ARTIST: Britany Gray of Fancy Face Inc.
HAIR STYLIST: Monique of Fancy Face Inc.
BRIDESMAIDS DRESSES: Bill Levkoff
GROOM’S ATTIRE: Freeman Formalwear
GROOMSMEN’S ATTIRE: Freeman Formalwear
CAKE DESIGNER: Nadia & Co.
FLORAL DESIGNER: Rachel A. Clingen Wedding & Event Design
STATIONERY DESIGNER / GRAPHIC DESIGNER: Paper Damsels
MUSICIANS: Alex Toskov (ceremony), Rio Band & Ariel (Reception & Henna)
This season had a winery theme for sure. It just happens that way sometimes! Nicole and Mike chose Small Talk winery for their engagement and then we headed to a tiny beach off the beaten path - which was an incredible find that may just be one of my newest favourite spots! These two got married just this fall - more images from that to come!
We've been in and out of Niagara a ton lately - winery engagements are a thing this fall! If you love to spend a Sunday afternoon strolling through vineyards and tasting some of the various wines our Niagara has to offer, than maybe this is for you!
“Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.”
― Ernest Hemingway
We're heading out of summer and into the thick of fall and what better way to say farewell for another year, then to have one last look at our beach inspired shoot with Elegant Wedding magazine which landed us a spot on the cover! This time though, from behind-the-scenes! Ever wondered how it all goes down? Take a look!